Thursday, March 31, 2011

Not only cute... but smart!!!

When I was pregnant with Caden, a very wise mother told me to be sure to read to my children every night and as soon as they can read to let them read to you every night. I didn't really see the point when Caden was so tiny, but I trusted this lady so I gave it a shot. I will admit that I didn't even come close to reading to him every night until he was about 1 year old. Then we began looking at books every night together for about 20-30 minutes. He was very interested in stories and pictures, and eventually letters and words.
Caden began fluently reading when he was 4.
Calli began fluently reading when she was 4.
Cienna began fluently reading when she was 4.
I have always known they were good readers and that they actually enjoyed it, but I didn't have any idea really how important it is to understand early on. I went to parent teacher conference last week and each teacher said the same thing about my children. They were good kids, good friends, they were usually on task, they helped others, but the teachers couldn't stress to me how amazing the kids were doing academically.

Caden is reading at a 5th grade 9th month reading level- He is in 3rd grade.
Calli is reading at a 4th grade level- She is in 1st grade.
Cienna is reading at a 2nd grade 6th month level- She is in Kindergarten.

Caden's teacher just flat out told me that the kids that can't read, struggle with EVERY other aspect of school. Think about it, if they can't read, they can't figure out the word problems in math. If they can't read, they can't follow simple written instructions. If they can't read, they can't add the simple ingredients of a recipe.
I am grateful every day for that special lady that stressed to me the importance of reading to my children and listening to them read to me. If I could offer any advice to moms or dads, it will be the same, read to your children every night and when they are old enough to read to you, listen!!! Such a simple thing, but my kids will benefit from this for the rest of their lives.
Now when my children ask for 5 more minutes of reading time, or if they can read a story to me, I smile so big and laugh to myself because really... can you deny them an amazing future??? Not me...I love these kids!!!

1 comment:

MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.